from September 13-22. The $2,950 all-inclusive expedition includes travel time, but the actual assault of Mount Kilimanjaro will occur from September 16 to 20, 2018 through the Marangu route.
The Marangu Route, sometimes called the Coca-Cola route, is the easiest route to summit Kilimanjaro. It offers a gentle pace through forests and moorlands, and then strikes across the Saddle, a high-altitude desert separating the main summit, Uhuru (5,895m) from its craggy neighbour Mawenzi (5,149m).
From Mawenzi, an early start assaults Uhuru through a zig-zaging steep scree that is easiest when frozen. Expect a spectacular view from the rim of the crater at Gilman’s Point.
Timelines: The following comprise the timeline of important dates and events in the preparation towards summiting Kilimanjaro in September:
May 30, 2018: Deadline for payment of $50 non-refundable registration fee
June 30, 2018: Deadline for payment of 50% Expedition fee ($1,450.)
August 30, 2018: Deadline for payment of final fees installment ($1,450.)
August 31-September 2, 2018: First preparatory assault of the Avatime Highlands (complimentary)
September 7-9, 2018: Final preparatory assault of Anum Highlands (complimentary)
September 13, 2018: Flight to Kilimanjaro (JRO) from Accra (ACC)
September 14-15, 2018: Arrive in JRO and settle into hotels (Kili Cottages)
September 16-20: Assault of Kilimanjaro
September 22: Return flight to ACC from JRO
September 16: Drive to Marangu Gate. 4H Rainforest hike to Mandara Hut (2,720m asl)
September 17: 5H Rainforest exit through open Moorland to Horombo Hut (3,720m asl)
September 18: 5H Moorland and Saddle Traverse to Kibo Hut (4,730m asl)
September 19: Early 5H Assault to Gilman’s Point (5,681m), onwards (1.5H) to Uhuru Peak (5,895m), and descend back to Kibo Hut for lunch and rest before descending to Horombo Hut (total 13H hiking time)
September 20: Descent to Marangu Gate (5H) and drive back to hotels.
What to Pack:
- 1 Large Backpack, holding bag and rain gear
- 1 Day-Pack and rain guard
- Head lamp and spare batteries, sun hat, glasses, 2 pairs of medium-thickness socks
- Sleeping mat, wrist watch, pen and notebook
- Camera, GPS Watches, Binoculars (optional)
- Clothes: Underwear, 2 sets of t-shirts and walking trousers, pair of shorts
- To walk: Adjustable walking poles, hiking boots, 3 water bottles, outdoor sandals
- Wash-kit: Small towel, soap, toothbrush and paste, toilet paper and tissue.
- Summit Gear: Fleece (Jacket, Balaclava, Gloves, Hat), Thermal (Gloves, Top, Long johns, Socks), Gaiters, Rain Gear, Gore-Tex Jacket
- Alpine Sleeping Gear: Sleeping Bag (minus 5 degrees or lower)
Note: Summit Gear and Alpine Sleeping Bag will be provided as part of the overall fee.